Google

Friday, May 23, 2008

Day 143--When Cheap Ass Hobbies Become Expensive

Day 143- When Cheap Ass Hobbies Become Expensive

As a photographer, technology sure has made one of my hobbies cheaper and easier to perform. Film has been replaced with reusable digital data cards. And the darkroom has been replaced with photoshop and inexpensive printers.

However, it has not come without its fallout.

In order to stay competitive, Kodak--the inventor of the affordable camera--as ceased to make film cameras. And Polaroid has stopped making instant film.

No big deal right?

Not for me.

One of my personal favorite techniques is the emulsion transfer. It is where the artist takes a professional quality of instant film and before the emulsion dries onto the paper, the artist transfers it to a piece of watercolor paper. The effect is interesting and unusual.

However, with Polaroid ending it is production of instant film, not only are the days of my hobby numbered, each day the materials become more expensive.

What once cost $5 for materials now cost $20, $25, even $30 depending on what site you use.

Yup, one of my cheap ass hobbies has become expensive, and ultimately obsolete.

I bought two packs of film the other day, all I could afford right now. I am afraid they may be my last.

Good-bye Polaroid Emulsion Transfer, you have been a good hobby for me. I will miss you.

No comments: