Google

Monday, January 28, 2008

"Heroic Competence"

Heroic Competence- Day 28

When I told my co-workers the other day that I have started down the "long, arduous road toward competency", it was just a joke at first. I liked the way it sounded. Anything that long and that arduous should result in something beyond "just competency". It should result in something heroic and profound.

But after the meeting, one of my coworkers came up to me and said, "You know, when you say that you are heading toward competency, you make people think you are not competent."

"I know," I said. "It is just a joke."

But not quite. There are plenty of things I am competent at. I can cook a mean Macaroni and Cheese Casserole. And I am going on my twentieth year able to tie my own shoes. And I am pretty good at a million other things.

But, other things, I am not competent at. And this is the point of my project.

In Season 3 of "The Simpsons", there is an episode called "Homer Defined" where Homer saves Springfield from a nuclear disaster. He is given an award by Mr. Burns for "Heroic Competence".
Homer is treated as a hero until he needs to repeat his display of heroics in nearby Shelbyville. When people learn that he randomly selected a button through "Eenie, Meenie, Minie, Moe" he is revealed as the fraud he is. However, his dumb luck is lauded as he is finally defined- not as a hero, nor as stupid, but simply lucky.

I am not calling myself a fraud, at all. If anything, I have been riding life out by quick wits and luck. But how nice would it be if I weren't late because I couldn't find my keys. Or shocked once again when a check overdraws my account. Or frustrated because my clothes don't fit right.

So, lets all strive for some Heroic Competence. Not demanding perfection at all times. Or outrageous feats of strength and skill. But just making it through another day where you feel in control.

Competent Highlight of the Day: Blazer that didn't fit two weeks ago now fits! (With some squeezing)

2 comments:

Jennifer Walker said...

If it's any consolation, I think that you're much more competent than Homer... and that you are a constant friend. I'm here reading your blog! :-)

Unknown said...

Hey Alex I'll be with you here all the way readin' and a commentin'.

Travis