Google

Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Road Toward Competency

Day 27- The New blog

My name is Alex. My life is going well. I live in Washington, DC with a wonderful partner named Christine and six awesome housemates. I have just finished college. I have an amazing job living out my passions. Life is good and I have no major complaints.

But, even as I told myself that over the last few months, there was always a searing ball of dread, guilt, anxiety, and fear. While things were great on the outside, I was a mess on the inside.

My finances were in tatters. I wasn't happy with my body. Deadlines were piling up at work. I had lost track with many of my best friends outside of DC. Things were just generally a mess-both literally and metaphorically.

So, on Dec. 28, 2007, I made a New Year's Resolution. Which became two. Which became five. Which became a dozen. Which became two dozen.

Why so many? I had been reading many blogs telling me if you just say, "Get my finances in order", NYRs don't just happen like a genie's wish. You have to make them happen. So, "get my finances in order" was followed up by: Balance My Checkbook, Pay off Loans On-Time, and Watch My Spending.

I did this strategic planning for every goal.

And I have been reading blogs on finance for young people, organization, time management, and healthy living.

And I am going to condense them here. For all of us to share.

I am on the Road Toward Competency. Would you like to come along?

2 comments:

mer said...

did you see the new class at all souls? your money or your life: aligning your finances and your spirit

Beth said...

I am alittle late but I want to come along. Good luck with the rest of trip.