Google

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Day 71- On not following my own advice

Day 71- On Not Following My Own Advice

Earlier, I had recommended that you get your credit report. It has all sorts of handy dandy information you can use. For instance, if you have any outstanding loans, or if your loan company has your correct address, phone number, and email.

I did get my credit report. And sure enough, I had outstanding loans--more than I had expected in fact. And they did not have my correct address, or phone number or email. They had two previous addresses that I had not lived in for over two years. For all they knew, I was just ignoring all the letters and phone calls they had sent my way.

But, naively, I expected that the magical bill fairy would swoop in on time and switch my address. It always seems that the magical bill fairy swoops in and delivers right on time.

Well maybe the magical bill fairy has been on sabbatical for the last three months. Because I started thinking that those bills that should be coming are not coming at all.

I went to the loan's website and did some research. It seems that I have been neglecting my bills for over three months. And there it was, just racking up interest and late fees. Also, running the risk of defaulting on my loan with possible legal actions taken against me. So, in 15 minutes time, I got that all fixed.

Sure, it was a pain in the butt. And I had to prematurely raid my loan payment. But that can all be paid for with my tax rebate that is on its way.

Competency Moment of the Day: I threw an extra $158 at my debt from snowflakes!

2 comments:

Beth said...

I am working on what I call "the snowballs I forgot in the freezer." How many times do you have money coming to you but you just keep putting things off to such a point you lose the money. Such as returning something you really did not like or changed your mind once you got home, filling out rebate forms, or having money somewhere and all you have to do is ask for it. I am working on some money Paypal is holding for me. We just returned some tiles from the kitchen remodel to Lowes. Plus, I am working on getting some saving bond money in which I lost the the savings bond. These are all "snowballs in the freezer." Talking about the freezer, I am working on some money from spoilage during the time the fridge and freezer broke down last month.

Unknown said...

Best of Luck!
Life Style Rescue