Google

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Day 106- Radical Hygiene Part 3

Day 106- Radical Hygiene Part 3

This week, I will be devoting Road Toward Competency to Radical Hygiene—using traditional practices to make your hygiene regimen more healthy for you, the environment, and your budget.

After yesterday's post about menstruation, I thought today could be for the men oriented bodies out there. Although, any one could actually use at least some of this advice.

Recently, I picked up the habit of wet shaving.


Aren't you tired of how they keep jamming blades on your razor?



And now, there are just random blades coming off from the wrong direction!


Really, there is no reason why we need so many blades! And with more and more blades, means more and more money. Its like 4$ a cartridge for some razors. At times, I was wondering if I could afford to shave and go to the movie I was getting ready for!

And all that goo! It comes out of the metal can--not recyclable. And that goo is surprisingly bad for your skin. A lot of it is not actually conducive to a good shave. Unlike what the good people at gillette tell you, it is not pressure or number of blades that cause irritation. Most irritation comes from you shaving cream.

That is when I discovered wet shaving.

Wet shaving is like the shaving your grandfather or great-grandfather did.


Hell, if it is good enough for the Dodgers, it must be good!!!

Razors these days wont cost a $1.29 like they did in the 1060's. However, that is not far off. Each blade runs about $.50 a piece. Compare that to your $4.50 for your slashco mach 20.

And that goo? Replace it with a delicious shaving soap made from all natural ingredients.

But most importantly, get yourself a really nice shaving brush so that you can make some wonderful, hot lather to smother all over your face.

Wet shaving has been great for me. It has transformed my shaving from something I hated, a chore and a bore, to a new hobby that I love. I find my beard grows back softer, and more even. And my face has not been breaking out as much now that I have an all natural shaving soap.

Mantic59 has a great primer on how to get started. He also has a super blog.


But ultimately, you need to check out badger and blade. It is a forum for wet shavers.

Even if you don't want to invest in the new razor, the blades, the brush and everything all at once (which is understandable) I am urging you to at least ditch the cans of goo and move over to some natural shaving soaps or creams. And then invest in a good shaving brush. You will find the difference amazing.

1 comment:

mantic59 said...

Thanks for the plug! :)