Google

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Day 107- Radical Hygiene Part 4

Day 107- Radical Hygiene Part 4

This week, I will be devoting Road Toward Competency to Radical Hygiene—using traditional practices to make your hygiene regimen more healthy for you, the environment, and your budget.

Ahh, laundry. I love doing it. I love the feel of clean clothes that have been line dried. Or a hot shirt on a cold day out of the dryer. But I am not keen on all the scents and dyes that go into the detergent. I have inherited my mom’s strong sense of smell and perfumes and fragrances have a tendency to bother me. And yet fragrance free laundry detergent tends to cost loads more than the average laundry detergent.

But at beingfrugal.net, Lynnea gives us a recipe for homemade soap that apparently works like a star. I haven’t tried this yet, but it is my plan for a weekend competency tip this weekend.

1 bar bath soap or fels naphtha soap
1 cup washing soda
1 cup baking soda
1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax

Grind together in your food processor. Use 2 Tablespoons for a full load. It costs 2 or 3 cents per use.

I will definitely let you know what I think of it when I am all done.

I have also made my own surface cleaner with white vinegar and water. White vinegar is mildly acidic and it tends to cut through grease and grime like a champ. And if you have hard water, it can really get in under soap scum and toilet rust. White vinegar is also great at absorbing odors, so it can really get your bathroom smelling fresh. For tough to srub places, sprinkle a bit of baking soda on the dirt and spray with diluted vinegar and get a volcano of cleanliness! This is also fantastic for stuck drains.

Diluted vinegar sprayed on glass and scrubbed with yesterday’s newspaper is a great way to get your windows shiny. Some people add some to rubbing alcohol or a drop of dish soap in order to prevent streaks.

Hydrogen peroxide is a great way to kill and bleach mold. Just dilute in a spray bottle and spray right on. But, keep away from colored fabrics as it will bleach your clothes or window dressings.

What tips and techniques do you have for non-toxic, homemade house cleansers?

1 comment:

Beth said...

The two ladies from "How Clean is your House" says there is nothing like abit of elbow grease. At their suggestion, I washed my windows with tea. I had some iced tea that was abit old. Poured in a bucket, added some hot water and there you go. The tannins in the tea cuts through the dirt. Don't forget lemons for something good smelling.