Google

Monday, April 21, 2008

Day 111-Homemade Detergent

Day 111-Homemade Detergent

Last week, we shared a recipe for homemade laundry detergent. I had to go to Giant Foods and Target to get all my materials. And I still couldn't find Naphtham Soap. So I used a bar of Irish Spring we had lying around.

The whole thing wond up costing about $11. But at 2 tablespoons a load, I am thinking it will be about 1 to 2 cents a load to wash my clothes.

The verdict? Yes, it cleans and brightens. Very well in fact. Got some stains out that Seventh Generation was not able to get. I am hoping to get the Naphtham Soap soon since I hear it works better on clothing and I am not super excited about the Irish Spring smell even though most of it disappears in the dryer. I haven't tried it on the clothes line yet since it has been raining to see if the smell goes away that way.

But in the end, I highly recommend it. It is a easy project to take on in an afternoon--less when you have all the ingredients.

Oh and those ingredients are:

1 bar bath soap or fels naphtha soap
1 cup washing soda
1 cup baking soda
1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax

Grind together in your food processor. Use 2 Tablespoons for a full load.

I hope you all are enjoying your spring.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Koger carrys the fels naphtha soap. Not sure if that help you at all. I have used it a few times. I need to use it more often.